Bunzl looks for growth overseas
Wednesday 01 September 2010
The grocery and retail packaging giant Bunzl said yesterday that a consumer spending squeeze had dented first-half sales in the UK as the firm looks overseas for growth.
Bunzl, which makes packaging and checkout displays for shops, said UK sales fell by 5 per cent in a "tough" trading climate despite profits being boosted by earlier cost-cutting moves. It was also hit by the weakness of the construction industry and a spending clampdown by healthcare customers, which buy products such as bandages and masks.
But Bunzl enjoyed far better fortunes in North America – its biggest market – where sales rose 5 per cent. This helped group revenues to edge up 2 per cent to £2.35bn as pre-tax profit rose 6 per cent to £100m.
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
iJobs Money & Business
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Service...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Did you know? SThree is the o...