Essar suffers worst IPO in eight years
Wednesday 05 May 2010
India's Essar Energy stumbled in what was the London market's biggest listing since December 2007 last night, with its shares slumping by more than 7 per cent to 389.5p on their first day of trading.
The debut was the London's worst in eight years, and comes a week after the power, oil and gas company reduced its offer price to 420p per share, against an initial range of 450p to 550p per share.
At the time, the company characterized the reduction as a pragmatic move in the face of recent market volatility. The energy group, which was spun out of India's giant Essar conglomerate, raised £1.2bn from the sale of 23 per cent of Essar Energy's shares at the end of last week in a listing that puts Essar Energy on course for inclusion in the blue chip FTSE 100 index. Essar's founders, Shashi and Ravi Ruia, still hold the other 77 per cent of Essar Energy.
The group's debut, however, came as blue chips suffered their worst session since last November, with European and US shares US tumbling on worries about Greek debt.
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Kensington flat branded ‘uninhabitable’ by estate agent on sale for a bargain £600,000
Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
The 13 obscure UK laws you didn’t know you were breaking
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: A fast growing Financial Services organisation b...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + excellent benefits: Harrington Starr: An award-win...