For sale: Madoff's $7m luxury beach house
Wednesday 02 September 2009
US Marshalls have put Bernard Madoff's beach house in the Hamptons up for sale for $7m (£4.3m).
The New York property, above, with four bedrooms, a pool and 1.2 acres of land, is relatively modest by the standards of the billionaires and socialites who traditionally spend their summers at the exclusive Long Island beach towns. The house's contents – including duck decoys – will be auctioned later.
Madoff's other properties, in Florida's Palm Beach and his 3,000 sq ft apartment in Manhattan, New York, will also be auctioned later.
The proceeds will go to Madoff's victims, who lost $50bn in his massive Ponzi fraud.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...