Google purchases Skybox Imaging satellite firm for $500m
Wednesday 11 June 2014
Google said late on Tuesday it agreed to buy satellite start-up firm Skybox Imaging for $500 million in cash.
Google said Skybox’s satellites will help keep Google Maps accurate with up-to-date imagery.
In time, Google said it hopes that Skybox’s team and technology will also be able to help improve internet access and disaster relief — areas that Google said it has long been interested in.
Skybox said on its website that it builds satellites, writes code, and deploys data centres.
In its statement, Skybox said the time was right “to join a company who can challenge us to think even bigger and bolder, and who can support us in accelerating our ambitious vision.”
Skybox said it had built and launched the world’s smallest high¬-resolution imaging satellite, which collects images and video every day.
“We have built an incredible team and empowered them to push the state-of-the-art in imaging to new heights,” said Skybox.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...