Icap feels the City's pain as profits take a nosedive
Further signs of the extent of the strife in the City emerged yesterday with some dire results from Icap.
The interdealer broker – it trades on behalf of big banks only – saw half-year profits slump 26 per cent to £137m.
With even the biggest investors reluctant to place bets while they await clarity from the eurozone confusion, trading revenues are down across the Square Mile and redundancies are high.
Michael Spencer, the chief executive and 16 per cent shareholder, said: "T his has been one of the toughest periods in my 36-year career in the wholesale financial markets. Trading volumes have fallen significantly across nearly all asset classes."
Mr Spencer, who also owns the spread-betting house City Index and is a significant benefactor to the Conservative party, had few words of comfort for the immediate future.
"I do not believe the negative environment will continue indefinitely, but equally I do not expect it to improve imminently," he said.
Icap warned that full-year earnings would be at the low end of the range of analyst forecasts. That sent Icap shares down more than 9 per cent, or 28.5p, to 281.4p.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.