JD predicts 'tough Christmas'
The chairman of JD Sports Fashion has forecast a "tough Christmas" after posting a dip in underlying sales for its most recent trading period.
Peter Cowgill said: "All retailers are saying it is going to be fairly tough so I don't want to be the one to hold my hand up and say, 'they have got it wrong'."
In addition to lower footfall on the high street and retail parks, he said the warm autumn weather had hit purchases of jackets. The group's like-for-like sales fell by 1.5 per cent over the 16 weeks to 19 November.
Shares in JD fell by 55p, or 7 per cent, to 760p yesterday.
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
iJobs Money & Business
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This extremely successful and well-established...
Competitive with monthly bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced FX...
Competitive (Freelance) : Guru Careers: An Investment Writer / Stock Picker is...