M&A code fears quashed
The overhaul of the Takeover Code, which was introduced in September, has not led to rushed acquisitions as was initially feared.
The changes, introduced in the wake of the much-criticised takeover of Cadbury by the US confectioner Kraft last year, included giving predator companies just 28 days to make an offer after the first announcement that they were negotiating with a target.
This led to fears that deals would be rushed and would go through with poor due diligence. However, the target company could ask for the so-called "put up or shut up" (PUSU) deadline to be extended.
Since the overhaul, there have been 14 PUSU deadlines, of which 11 have been delayed, including Reuben Brothers' tilt at Arena Leisure and AmWINS for THB.
Nick Rumsby, a partner at Linklaters, said: "This shows that initial concerns about the four-week deadline not being sufficiently flexible have been addressed by the attitudes of the target boards."
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...