Market chaos: Gold and Yen offer investors safe haven
Sunday 21 August 2011
Investors are continuing to pile into safe havens of gold, the Swiss franc and yen as market turmoil persisted on Friday.
The global markets are awaiting next weeks Fed meeting at Jackson Hole in the US in the hope Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, will ease fears of a double-dip recession. So far Europe's leaders have failed to comfort the markets with eurozone policy changes.
*Dow Jones 10,818 down 4.01 per cent on the week
*FTSE 5040.76 down 5 per cent on the week
*DAX 5480 down 8.6 per cent on the week
*CAC40 3017 down 6.13 per cent on the week
*Nikkei 8719.24 down 2.7 percent on week
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
iJobs Money & Business
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: PMO Analyst - Banking - London - £350 -£400 per d...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Cost Reporting Manager - MI Packs -...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum plus 23 days holiday and pension scheme: Clearwater ...
£475 - £525 per day: Orgtel: Test Lead, London, Investment Banking, Technical ...