Markets rally as banking fears ease
Thursday 11 August 2011
Global markets rallied today as fears over the health of European banks eased, but it was another volatile day marked by wild swings in share prices.
The FTSE 100 in London closed 156 points, or 3%, higher at 5163 as a strong opening for US shares turned sentiment around after the UK index had dropped below the 5,000 barrier early in the day.
Concerns over Europe's sovereign debt crisis and the exposure of French banks in particular had caused the early selling, but gains of more than 200 points for the Dow Jones Industrial Average when US markets opened sparked a rally.
News that French President Nicolas Sarkozy will meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday to discuss Europe's financial plight also helped the mood.
The CAC-40 index in Paris closed up 2.9%, while the DAX in Frankfurt gained more than 3%.
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
iJobs Money & Business
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...