MCC stumps Almacantar development
Friday 02 December 2011
The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has ended three years of speculation surrounding the expansion of the Lord's ground (pictured) after it rejected plans to build luxury residential flats at the Nursery End.
Property developers Almacantar had proposed the £400m plan to expand the spiritual home of cricket, but it was opposed by senior members on the MCC committee.
The MCC said the England and Wales Cricket Board's decision to award the club a string of major matches until 2016 had given it the "confidence to fund a redevelopment scheme... on its own".
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
Deadly ice storm sees US temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 2 Turning up the voice of America
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server MI Developer needed for Euro...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...