Nissan to make new model only in Sunderland
About 1,000 jobs will be created in the UK after Nissan announced plans to build the latest model from its premium Infiniti brand at its plant in Sunderland.
The Japanese car company will invest £250m to develop the factory, creating 280 jobs at Nissan and a further 720 in the supply chain.
The new car, as yet unnamed, will be produced only in Sunderland, starting in 2015.
Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, said the move "is a strong endorsement of the quality of Britain's car industry, which is creating jobs, taking on apprentices and contributing to building a stronger economy".
The news provides a further boost to Britain's car market, which is performing much better than the rest of Europe, in terms of both sales and production.
The number of cars sold in the UK jumped by 11.3 per cent to 149,191, compared with the year before, while Europe posted an overall decline of 10.3 per cent, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association. British car production rose by 9.2 per cent to 1.36 million in the year to the end of November, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...