No room at 'full-up' Heathrow airport
Thursday 23 February 2012
The boss of Heathrow yesterday said Chinese and South American airlines were being turned away from routes into London because the world's busiest airport was full to capacity.
Colin Matthews, the chief executive of the airports operator BAA, said: "We have airlines come to us from South America and China to ask to fly to the UK, and we have to respond, 'only if you can find a slot to buy' which they find very difficult.
"That's why slots have traded for £25m. We are at the limit of the number of take-offs and landingsat Heathrow. It is frustrating, and itis urgent."
His comments came as Heathrow's record traffic in 2011 – 87.4 million passengers – helped BAA, which also owns Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports, to post an underlying profit of £1.1bn, up 17 per cent on a year ago.
Mr Matthews said Heathrow was ready for the Olympics this summer.
About 80 per cent of total Games traffic will travel through the airport, including 137,000 people – 10,000 more than have ever been inside the airport on a single day – on the day after the closing ceremony.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...