Paddy Power is a football winner
Thursday 30 August 2012
Paddy Power, the offbeat bookie, yesterday reported surging, half-year profits up 21 per cent to €68.7m (£54.5m), thanks partly to a strong Euro 2012.
Paddy hit the news at the tournament when the Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner dropped his shorts after scoring a goal against Portugal to reveal a pair of Paddy Power lucky pants.
UEFA promptly banned him for one 2014 World Cup qualifying match and fined him €100,000, which Paddy paid on his behalf.
Paddy took €78m of bets during the three-week tournament.
Its chief executive Patrick Kennedy reckons Paddy is the only bookie with apps that work on all mobile phones. The bookie has 1.2 million online customers, a rise of 41 per cent. That online growth and a strong performance in Australia helped push overall revenue to €311.2m, up from €242m a year ago.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...