Paddy Power is a football winner
Thursday 30 August 2012
Paddy Power, the offbeat bookie, yesterday reported surging, half-year profits up 21 per cent to €68.7m (£54.5m), thanks partly to a strong Euro 2012.
Paddy hit the news at the tournament when the Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner dropped his shorts after scoring a goal against Portugal to reveal a pair of Paddy Power lucky pants.
UEFA promptly banned him for one 2014 World Cup qualifying match and fined him €100,000, which Paddy paid on his behalf.
Paddy took €78m of bets during the three-week tournament.
Its chief executive Patrick Kennedy reckons Paddy is the only bookie with apps that work on all mobile phones. The bookie has 1.2 million online customers, a rise of 41 per cent. That online growth and a strong performance in Australia helped push overall revenue to €311.2m, up from €242m a year ago.
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
iJobs Money & Business
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£45000 - £47000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Java Developer / ...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager - Marke...