Price-cutting hits profits at clothing chain N Brown
Wednesday 06 July 2011
The catalogue and online shopping group N Brown warned yesterday that aggressive promotional discounting had cut into its profit margins, but said sales remained buoyant.
The company, which also owns the Figleaves womenswear and High & Mighty brands, said price-cutting was necessary to help drive up its revenues, which rose by 1.6 per cent on a like-for-like basis in the 18 weeks to 2 July.
The campaign to attract customers saw its gross margins dip by 0.2 per cent over the period, but revenues rose by 5.1 per cent. N Brown said sales of its menswear and footwear ranges were growing strongly, while ladieswear was down – a trend consistent with the same period last year.
High inflation was also hitting its core ladieswear ranges, while clothing at the higher price points was doing well. In its brand portfolio, Jacamo, Marisota and Simply Be all performed strongly.
N Brown said international sales for Simply Be in Germany and the US were rising in line with expectations.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server MI Developer needed for Euro...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...