Private equity firms suffer as deals fall in downturn
Private equity firms sold fewer European businesses last year, reflecting the "volatile" economic climate and the unwillingness of banks to provide debt financing for deals, according to the accountancy firm Ernst & Young.
There was a 28 per cent slump in the number of portfolio companies that private equity firms exited.
Sachin Date, Ernst & Young's private equity leader for Middle East, India and Africa, said: "With Europe and many other regions showing little or no GDP growth over such a prolonged period, the private equity portfolio has inevitably been affected."
While the amount of debt that banks are willing to lend to potential buyers remains significantly below pre-credit crisis levels in 2007, the accountancy firm said that European businesses have also struggled to grow profits during the economic downturn to wet the appetites of investors.
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
iJobs Money & Business
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: EAST ANGLIA - SENIOR SOLICITOR LEVEL ROLE** -...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: Prestigious asset management house seeks a...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: This is a varied role focusing on the firm's mutua...
£90000 - £140000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achievin...