Profit of £1.1bn for BSkyB
Sunday 22 July 2012
BSkyB will report a record pre-tax profit of around £1.1bn on Thursday despite concerns that demand for satellite dishes is slowing.
Chief executive Jeremy Darroch spent almost £2.3bn retaining Premier League rights – 40 per cent more than in 2009 – and last week he launched Now TV, a cut-price internet movies service to combat the rise of Net Flix and LoveFilm.
But some critics are concerned about how Sky's pay-TV subscriber growth has slowed as the economic downturn and the rise of online rivals, known as over-the-top (OTT) players, take their toll.
"What began as a defensive move against the new OTT players could backfire if cannibalisation of its core business takes hold," warned Ted Hall, an Informa analyst.
Sky is expected to increase subscription fees for many of its 10.5 million customers this autumn.
Questions remain over Ofcom's investigation into News Corporation, Sky's biggest shareholder, after the phone-hacking scandal.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...