Rise of smartphones boosts chip maker Imagination
Wednesday 20 June 2012
Imagination Technologies, the chip maker that iPad and iPhone users should thank for their snazzy graphics, saw revenues rocket 30 per cent in the year to May as its customers shipped 1 million smartphones, tablets and computers a day containing its devices.
Imagination's chief executive, Hossein Yassaie, said yesterday: "Our partners are using more of our IP in their devices as they combine graphics and video, and the volume of devices is dramatically increasing."
Adjusted pre-tax profits rose by 53 per cent to £36.8m in the year, on revenues up 30 per cent at £127.5m. Mr Yassaie said he was confident of maintaining that rapid growth.
"The markets we operate in are growing dramatically," he said. "Half a billion smartphones were shipped in 2011, and we expect that to be 1.5 billion a year by 2015."
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Gareth Bale agrees new £130,000-a-week Tottenham contract - but can leave next season for £50m
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...