Sir Martin Sorrell: Omnicom, Publicis deal will result in an exodus of talent
Monday 29 July 2013
WPP advertising supremo Sir Martin Sorrell today forecast that rivals Publicis and Omnicom would suffer a wave of client defections and an exodus of talent after their £23 billion mega-merger.
France’s Publicis — owner of agencies Saatchi & Saatchi and Starcom Media Vest — and America’s Omnicom, which owns Abbott Mead Vickers and Adam & Eve DDB, are each thought to employ more than 3000 in London.
Their combined worldwide staff will total 130,000, creating the world’s biggest advertising group by revenue.
“This is a seismic shock to the industry and this will make clients and people think about what they’re doing,” said Sorrell, whose company will lose its crown as the world’s biggest ad group. “This gives us a big opportunity.”
Broker Liberum Capital reckoned Publicis and Omnicom would suffer “some likely client losses” as the two companies work for rival clients such as Coca-Cola and Pepsi. “Somewhat counter-intuitively, we think this is a positive for WPP,” said Liberum. WPP shares rose more than 2%.
Omnicom chief executive John Wren, who will be co-chief executive with Maurice Lévy of Publicis, admitted these conflicts of interests could be a challenge. “Do I expect to have difficulties? Yes. Do I expect to have resolutions? Absolutely,” he said.
Regulators will need to approve the deal. Publicis has a 21.1% share of the global media-buying market and Omnicom has 14.5%, giving them a combined 35.6%, which will mean they leapfrog WPP on 28.1%, according to industry analysts Recma.
In the Americas, Publicis Omnicom will have a 41.6% share, although WPP will remain dominant in Europe, including the UK, where it employs around 12,000.
Numis analyst Paul Richards said: “It is a very positive move for Publicis and Omnicom.” Both companies have similar stock market valuations and it is a merger of equals, despite Omnicom having revenues of $14 billion (£9.1 billion) and Publicis only $8 billion.
“If I were an Omnicom shareholder, I’d be extremely displeased,” added Sorrell, who mocked the fact Publicis was code-named purple and Omnicom was orange during the merger talks. “When you Google or Bing purple and orange, it comes out muddy brown or grey. Is this a portent of the future?”
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery rumours: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
FCKH8: YouTube reinstates provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing
Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...