Spanish economy set to stablise after debt deal
Monday 02 July 2012
Spain offered some hope for the beleaguered eurozone as its Finance Minister, Luis de Guindos, said his country's economy should stabilise during the latter half of the year despite another fall in output in the second quarter.
Mr de Guindos was speaking yesterday after European leaders agreed that a eurozone rescue fund could inject cash directly into problematic banks, bypassing national governments, and intervene in debt markets – a move that helped financial markets to rally on Friday.
The deal has been widely seen as a victory for Spain and Italy because the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, had previously opposed the idea of using common euro funds to support troubled economies.
"Everyone has come away from this important summit a winner," claimed Mr de Guindos. "From now on, we must all contribute."
However, some analysts warned that any funds are still subject to unspecified tough "economy-wide" conditions and that could cause problems for Spain and Italy.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...