Supermarkets circle empty HMV shops
Sunday 03 February 2013
Iceland, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons have all submitted bids for HMV stores that are the right size to be run as supermarkets.
HMV, the music retailer, collapsed last month and the administrator Deloitte, advised by the property agency CBRE, set a Friday deadline for bids on more than 220 shop leases. The operational business is being sold off separately.
Tesco is thought to want 20 stores, while Iceland is eyeing up 50 and Sainsbury's around 25. The supermarkets are up against discount chains like Poundland and 99p Stores, as well as River Island and Arcadia.
Shops leased to Jessops and Blockbuster are also on the market, with Savills appointed to advise on the sale. Morrisons is said to be keen on a batch of Blockbuster stores in residential locations.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
iJobs Money & Business
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...