Value shops eye Mothercare sites
Sunday 22 May 2011
A handful of companies are circling Mothercare to buy small batches of stores from the struggling childcare retailer.
It is thought a number of pound shops and card shops including Card Factory are hoping to take over the stores.
Mothercare confirmed last week that it was to close more than 110 shops and cut the rent on 40 stores by March 2013 – as forecast by The Independent on Sunday earlier this month.
It is moving out of the high street for out-of- town sites.
Value and pound shops are scooping up stores from less successful retailers. Ernst & Young, the joint administrator of DIY chain Focus, has sold 11 stores to value retailer B&M Bargains.
HMV has agreed the long awaited deal to sell Waterstone's for £53m to the group's 6.7 per cent shareholder, Alexander Mamut. But analysts said HMV is not out of trouble as its debt still stands at £170m.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...