Virgin Media promises interactive programmes
Monday 19 December 2011
Virgin Media is promising TV subscribers that they will be able to use new apps from BBC Sport and News to watch interactive programming for the first time next year.
Under the terms of the deal with the BBC, subscribers of Virgin's TiVo interactive TV service will use "red-button" technology on the remote control. It will mean viewers can watch a live event with multiple video streams, as well as accessing other interactive and catch-up content from BBC Online.
The forthcoming BBC Sport app, which has yet to launch, is set to carry extra live programming from the Olympics, Euro 2012, Wimbledon and Formula One.
Unlike Sky, Virgin is an "open" platform, which means the BBC apps will be integrated into the main TiVo menu.
Virgin has already had the BBC iPlayer catch-up service on its pay-TV platform since 2008.
Cindy Rose, executive director of digital entertainment at Virgin Media, said TiVo viewers want "a whole world of catch-up, on demand, HD, 3D and live TV content".
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...