Volex counts the cost as customer Apple goes green
Wednesday 30 May 2012
Volex has paid the price for a green push by the consumer electronics giant Apple which wiped out its profits growth this year.
Apple is the biggest customer of Volex, which is 23 per cent-owned by the billionaire financier Nat Rothschild, and which makes the power cables and USB leads used in everything from laptops to iPhones and iPads.
But the US company is on a drive to move its products towards halogen-free power cables, which when disposed of are less harmful to the environment.
Volex said yesterday it has racked up $5m (£3m) in start-up costs in designing and making the new cables. This left operating profits 3 per cent lower at $23m in the year to 1 April. Stripping out the one-off costs, Volex is bullish.
Underlying profits rose by 23 per cent and the company, which also makes fibre optic cables for telecoms firms, is also raising the dividend.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...