Waitrose sales boosted by hungry students
Saturday 25 September 2010
John Lewis has posted another strong weekly performance, with sales at its Waitrose supermarket chain boosted by students stocking up on ready meals for the start of the university term.
The employee-owned company, traditionally seen as a bellwether of the UK retail sector but which has outperformed competitors for more than a year, said sales at its 233-store chain rose 8 per cent to £89.1m in the week to 18 September. "Lasagne and bolognese bakes shot up by 328 and 321 per cent respectively, with sales of Italian ready meals at Waitrose increasing by 50 per cent," the company said.
Sales of another student staple, instant "cup-a-soups", were buoyant, with minestrone seeing a rise of 192 per cent. Sales at John Lewis' 28 department stores and two "at home" stores rose 11.7 per cent to £56.5m.
Growth was driven by a 38 per cent rise in online sales, a 16.7 per cent increase in fashion sales and strong results from London stores. The managing director, Andy Street, said: "The increase kept up our momentum, and was, we suspect, well ahead of the market."
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...