X Factor boosts ITV profits
Wednesday 29 February 2012
The popularity of The X Factor and Downton Abbey helped profits rise 24% at ITV but the broadcaster warned advertising revenues have dropped in early 2012.
ITV, which is also home to Coronation Street, said profits rose to £398 million in 2011 after it gained market share, driven by the strong performance of its digital channels, although there was a 1% decline at its flagship ITV1.
The group, which is nearly two years into its transformation plan, said there were signs of improvement in its studios business, which increased revenues by 10% and has sold its Titanic drama to 86 countries ahead of its release this year.
But while advertising revenues were up 1% in 2011, outperforming the market, it expects a 2% fall in the first quarter of 2012 as marketing budgets are hit by the economic slowdown.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...