Pensions for divorced
Saturday 18 March 1995
An amendment put forward by the Labour peeress Baroness Hollis, with backing from Tory ex-minister Baroness Young, will force a divorced husband to pay up to half his pension to an ex-wife when he retires.
A further amendment laid the obligation with the pension schemes themselves to divide the pension and make payments to the former wife.
Government had planned to leave this responsibility with the husband. But Baroness Hollis warned that this would increase the burden of litigation going through the courts.
Now, she said, payments "would flow securely to the wife without asking an elderly woman of 75 to pursue her husband as a litigant through the courts, clogging up the system, demanding legal aid and causing immense and unnecessary distress to all parties".
Peers also voted against the Government to restore pensions to war widows, if widowed for the second time, or divorced.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Ap...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Excellent, opportunities exist for high calibr...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Key purpose of the role will be to act as Fixe...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...