People and Business: Twin studies
Wednesday 03 February 1999
For years and years BZW pumped out its comparative study on investment. Then CSFB bought the equity side of BZW, and the remains of the investment bank were renamed Barclays Capital. Both successor institutions lay claim to the Gilt Study.
You might expect that the CSFB Equity-Gilt Study, published on Monday, would seek to be as different as possible to the Barclays Capital Equity- Gilt Study which was published yesterday.
Bizarrely, both sets of analysts compared notes informally - they do have neighbouring offices in Canary Wharf, after all - and have come up with identical headline numbers. Both say that for 1998 gilts' real returns rose by 21.7 per cent, whereas equity real returns were up by 10.6 per cent.
Sadly, there is still no word from Michael Hughes, now at Barings Asset Management, who for many years headed up the original study at BZW. Who knows, it could be triplets yet.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...