Peseta hits new low against the mark of spacey
Spanish bond prices also fell, pushing the average yield on the benchmark government bond up to 12.2 per cent, a full percentage point higher than a month ago, and the Madrid bourse fell almost 2 per cent as soon as trading started. The index has now fallen 23 per cent from the high point 12 months ago Markets have been unsettled by the continuing political uncertainty and the pressure for further rises in interest rates. The Prime Minister's denial on television on Monday night that the government had helped fund a special force to target ETA, the Basque terrorist organisation, failed to reassure markets.
The financial community in Madrid continues to endorse the determination of the authorities not to resort to panic measures. Cesar Molines, head of research at the brokers FG Inversiones, says that history shows that attempts to support the currency are doomed to failure, and the central bank would be better advised to hold on to its reserves. The peseta is still some way from its extended limit in the ERM. The mark could climb almost to 92 pesetas before the peseta could be forced to float.
Meanwhile the Spanish economy continues to recover from recession. Industrial production in October was 6.9 per cent higher than a year previously and unemployment fell from 16.7 per cent in November to 16.5 per cent in December.
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.