RJ Reynolds raises prices for cigarettes
Wednesday 10 November 1993
The increase is the first since the spring, when the industry leader Philip Morris sparked a rash of discounting by cutting the price of its best-selling Marlboro brand by 40 cents a pack.
But analysts said that the across-the-board nature of the Reynolds increase preserves the narrow 50-cents-a-pack differential between premium and discount brands set by the Marlboro cut in April.
The increases cover the following premium brands: Winston, Salem, Camel, Vantage, More, Now and Horizon. Its so-called 'savings' brands include: Doral, Magna, Sterling, Monarch and Best Value.
Other companies are expected to follow RJR's lead. A spokesman for BAT Industries said the company welcomed the increase, and was 'currently deciding what to do in response'.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40000: SThree: As a Recruitment Consultant, y...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...