Sober up for the tax return

After "buy the turkey" and "wrap Aunt Ethel's slippers", everyone should put fill in the tax return on their list of things to do this Christmas.

At this time of year, the last thing anyone wants to think about is something as sobering as a tax return. But the deadline for sending back those forms is looming, especially if you take into account the inevitable delays over the extended holiday period.

Taxpayers have until 31 January to file returns for the tax year 1998- 1999 and to pay any tax owed or face an automatic pounds 100 fine. To avoid a fine, an estimated five million taxpayers need to get moving to ensure that they get everything back to the Inland Revenue in good time.

Even if you cannot face filling out the return until after the Christmas holiday, you should ensure at least that you have the correct forms from the Inland Revenue. Don't take it for granted that it will have sent you the right ones either. Check all the pages are there - as well as the core eight-page document, you will need separate pages for employment, self-employment, or property you may be letting. If anything is missing, contact the Revenue at once.

To fill out your return you also need to gather together information about your financial circumstances. This includes bank and building society statements, any dividend vouchers you may have, your P60 or P45, payslips and details of any redundancy payments.

You will also need a record of expenses incurred while carrying out your business, backed up with receipts. These are not sent in with your tax return but you do need to keep them safe for your personal records.

If it all looks too much like hard work, now is the time to consult a professional. Ideally, get a recommendation from a friend or colleague and agree how much it is going to cost you in advance.

Help the Aged can also call on the services of a number of tax experts who will fill in your tax return. The service costs pounds 75 for fairly straightforward returns; more if your tax situation is complicated. All profits go to the charity.

Contacts:; Help the Aged, 0800 056 5535.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
ebooksAn unforgettable anthology of contemporary reportage
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Recruitment Genius: Digital Optimisation Executive - Marketing

£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's fastest growing, multi...

Recruitment Genius: Financial Reporting Manager

£70000 - £90000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Financial Reporting Manager i...

Recruitment Genius: Payments Operations Assistant

£23000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They win lots of awards for the...

Recruitment Genius: Telephone Debt Negotiator

£13500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This nationwide enforcement com...

Day In a Page

Sepp Blatter resignation: The beginning of Fifa's long road to reform?

Does Blatter's departure mean Fifa will automatically clean up its act?

Don't bet on it, says Tom Peck
Charles Kennedy: The baby of the House who grew into a Lib Dem giant

The baby of the House who grew into a Lib Dem giant

Charles Kennedy was consistently a man of the centre-left, dedicated to social justice, but was also a champion of liberty and an opponent of the nanny-state, says Baroness Williams
Syria civil war: The harrowing testament of a five-year-old victim of this endless conflict

The harrowing testament of a five-year-old victim of Syria's endless civil war

Sahar Qanbar lost her mother and brother as civilians and government soldiers fought side by side after being surrounded by brutal Islamist fighters. Robert Fisk visited her
The future of songwriting: How streaming is changing everything we know about making music

The future of songwriting

How streaming is changing everything we know about making music
William Shemin and Henry Johnson: Jewish and black soldiers receive World War I Medal of Honor amid claims of discrimination

Recognition at long last

Jewish and black soldiers who fought in WWI finally receive medals after claims of discrimination
Beating obesity: The new pacemaker which helps over-eaters

Beating obesity

The new pacemaker which helps over-eaters
9 best women's festival waterproofs

Ready for rain: 9 best women's festival waterproofs

These are the macs to keep your denim dry and your hair frizz-free(ish)
Cycling World Hour Record: Nervous Sir Bradley Wiggins ready for pain as he prepares to go distance

Wiggins worried

Nervous Sir Bradley ready for pain as he prepares to attempt cycling's World Hour Record
Liverpool close in on Milner signing

Liverpool close in on Milner signing

Reds baulk at Christian Benteke £32.5m release clause
On your feet! Spending at least two hours a day standing reduces the risk of heart attacks, cancer and diabetes, according to new research

On your feet!

Spending half the day standing 'reduces risk of heart attacks and cancer'
With scores of surgeries closing, what hope is there for the David Cameron's promise of 5,000 more GPs and a 24/7 NHS?

The big NHS question

Why are there so few new GPs when so many want to study medicine?
Big knickers are back: Thongs ain't what they used to be

Thongs ain't what they used to be

Big knickers are back
Thurston Moore interview

Thurston Moore interview

On living in London, Sonic Youth and musical memoirs
In full bloom

In full bloom

Floral print womenswear
From leading man to Elephant Man, Bradley Cooper is terrific

From leading man to Elephant Man

Bradley Cooper is terrific