Wreak revenge for holiday hell

Know your rights if you get hurt abroad, write Warren Collins and Michael Imperato

You don't have to take part in hazardous sports to find yourself in hospital abroad. If you do have to claim, examine the small print on your travel insurance (see box). Many people don't realise they may also have a case against the tour operator itself.

Under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 the tour operator may be liable for the acts of its sub-contractors, such as the hotel or a local day-trip organiser.

One case we dealt with at Russell, Jones & Walker involved a British tourist, Allison Seidlar, who was caught in a horrific accident in 1994. She had booked an expensive tour of Egypt, Jordon and Israel with Jules Verne Travel. While she was travelling in Egypt there was a torrential rainstorm and severe flooding on the roads. Despite warnings from the passengers, the coach driver and tour guide decided to press on with a journey through an affected area.

Not surprisingly, the coach broke down in the middle of torrential flood water, and the passengers had to try to escape through broken windows. Many were injured and one passenger drowned.

With the support of her union, we took Ms Seidlar's case against Jules Verne to court. Liability was denied throughout. Many of the other claimants had given up hope for compensation but, armed with evidence from doctors and a professor of Middle Eastern geography, she won a settlement based on the full value of the claim (running into thousands of pounds) days before a trial was due to take place.

Such claims are not always so simple. If a package holiday company is not liable, you may have to sue in the country where the incident took place. In England and Wales we have a three-year time limit for issuing proceedings in a personal injury action. Not all countries allow you this long to bring your case.

A solicitor's costs may be covered under your insurance and you should have the right to instruct a solicitor of your choice.

Finally, if you have a personal injury while you are abroad, don't put off dealing with it until you come home. Make sure you do the following:

n report what happened to the local police;

n keep receipts for all medical treatment and prescriptions;

n if you bring a case when you come home, ensure that you have obtained as much evidence as you can while abroad, such as a video or photographs of the scene, witness details, measurements of whatever it is you may have tripped over, for instance;

n check if there is a time limit by which you can claim under your own insurance;

n if you have to go to hospital, ask for a report on your injuries and treatment to bring home to your own doctor.

n Warren Collins and Michael Imperato are solicitors at Russell Jones & Walker, a firm which specialises in personal injury claims.


Benefit for death or injury

Nearly all policies will offer a fixed sum, often pounds 325,000, for death, loss of sight, a limb or permanent disability. "Permanent disability" is usually harshly applied. Often you must be so badly injured that you are not capable of any paid work, not just the job you usually do.

Medical expenses

This is fairly obvious. Make sure it includes a flight home by air ambulance. Many policies will also pay a hospital benefit of pounds 300 or more for every day you are in hospital. This usually means overnight stays.

Help lines

Some travel policies have 24-hour help lines. You should look out for these deals as they can be crucial to get you swift confirmation you can go ahead with medical treatment.

Exclusions for ill-health and dangerous sports

Most policies will have exclusions for people already receiving treatment or who have had some treatment in the past six months. This does not mean that you will not get cover; you may simply have to pay a bit extra. Double check what your policy defines as "a dangerous sport". On some policies it includes "organised football".


You may have to pay the first part of a claim yourself - typically pounds 330. If your claim covers several sections of cover you may have to pay a separate excess for each.

A model of a Neanderthal man on display at the National Museum of Prehistory in Dordogne, France
Richard Dawkins dedicated his book 'The Greatest Show on Earth' to Josh Timonen
newsThat's Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome
Arts and Entertainment
Eye of the beholder? 'Concrete lasagne' Preston bus station
architectureWhich monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
ebooksAn evocation of the conflict through the eyes of those who lived through it
Dinosaurs Unleashed at the Eden Project
Arts and Entertainment
Life and Style
This month marks the 20th anniversary of the first online sale
techDespite a host of other online auction sites and fierce competition from Amazon, eBay is still the most popular e-commerce site in the UK
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, Graduate, SQL, VBA)

£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...

Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Perl, Bash, SQL)

Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...

AIFMD Business Analyst / Consultant - Investment Management

£450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: AIFMD Business Analyst / Consultant - I...

Business Analyst Solvency II SME (Pillar 1, 2 & 3) Insurance

£450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Solvency II SME (Pilla...

Day In a Page

Middle East crisis: We know all too much about the cruelty of Isis – but all too little about who they are

We know all too much about the cruelty of Isis – but all too little about who they are

Now Obama has seen the next US reporter to be threatened with beheading, will he blink, asks Robert Fisk
Neanderthals lived alongside humans for centuries, latest study shows

Final resting place of our Neanderthal neighbours revealed

Bones dated to 40,000 years ago show species may have died out in Belgium species co-existed
Scottish independence: The new Scots who hold fate of the UK in their hands

The new Scots who hold fate of the UK in their hands

Scotland’s immigrants are as passionate about the future of their adopted nation as anyone else
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?

Blight club: Britain's ugliest buildings

Following the architect Cameron Sinclair's introduction of the Dead Prize, an award for ugly buildings, John Rentoul reflects on some of the biggest blots on the UK landscape
eBay's enduring appeal: Online auction site is still the UK's most popular e-commerce retailer

eBay's enduring appeal

The online auction site is still the UK's most popular e-commerce site
Culture Minister Ed Vaizey: ‘lack of ethnic minority and black faces on TV is weird’

'Lack of ethnic minority and black faces on TV is weird'

Culture Minister Ed Vaizey calls for immediate action to address the problem
Artist Olafur Eliasson's latest large-scale works are inspired by the paintings of JMW Turner

Magic circles: Artist Olafur Eliasson

Eliasson's works will go alongside a new exhibition of JMW Turner at Tate Britain. He tells Jay Merrick why the paintings of his hero are ripe for reinvention
Josephine Dickinson: 'A cochlear implant helped me to discover a new world of sound'

Josephine Dickinson: 'How I discovered a new world of sound'

After going deaf as a child, musician and poet Josephine Dickinson made do with a hearing aid for five decades. Then she had a cochlear implant - and everything changed
Greggs Google fail: Was the bakery's response to its logo mishap a stroke of marketing genius?

Greggs gives lesson in crisis management

After a mishap with their logo, high street staple Greggs went viral this week. But, as Simon Usborne discovers, their social media response was anything but half baked
Matthew McConaughey has been singing the praises of bumbags (shame he doesn't know how to wear one)

Matthew McConaughey sings the praises of bumbags

Shame he doesn't know how to wear one. Harriet Walker explains the dos and don'ts of fanny packs
7 best quadcopters and drones

Flying fun: 7 best quadcopters and drones

From state of the art devices with stabilised cameras to mini gadgets that can soar around the home, we take some flying objects for a spin
Joey Barton: ‘I’ve been guilty of getting a bit irate’

Joey Barton: ‘I’ve been guilty of getting a bit irate’

The midfielder returned to the Premier League after two years last weekend. The controversial character had much to discuss after his first game back
Andy Murray: I quit while I’m ahead too often

Andy Murray: I quit while I’m ahead too often

British No 1 knows his consistency as well as his fitness needs working on as he prepares for the US Open after a ‘very, very up and down’ year
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness

A descent into madness in America's heartlands

David Usborne arrived in Ferguson, Missouri to be greeted by a scene more redolent of Gaza and Afghanistan
BBC’s filming of raid at Sir Cliff’s home ‘may be result of corruption’

BBC faces corruption allegation over its Sir Cliff police raid coverage

Reporter’s relationship with police under scrutiny as DG is summoned by MPs to explain extensive live broadcast of swoop on singer’s home