WTO meets on banana wars
Monday 08 March 1999
AN URGENT MEETING of the World Trade Organisation's General Council will take place in Geneva today at the request of the European Union. The move follows a US decision last week to force importers of European products ranging from cashmere to pecorino cheese to post a bond worth 100 per cent of the value of their goods. It was the latest round in the banana wars, a row over access to European markets for bananas imported by the US company Chiquita from Latin America. The WTO has postponed a decision on the dispute until 12 April, and the EU argues that America must wait until then before imposing any sacntions.
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Californian drought is so severe it's 'causing the ground to move'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£400 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Test Manager - Banking - West Yorkshire - £400-£5...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Developer, Chester, Banking, DI Studio, £450-...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + OTE £40 - £50K first year: SThree: SThree Group an...