Duchess takes book battle before judge
Friday 27 September 1996
Her decision came a day after she learned, following a High Court judge's ruling, that such a hearing will face her with the prospect of a public quizzing over her relationship with her former financial adviser John Bryan.
She must also find pounds 500,000 as security for any damages that might be won by her former friend Dr Allan Starkie and publishers Michael O'Mara Books if the 10-day hearing, starting on 7 October, goes against her.
The news of her decision came as friends said she was determined to "fight on".
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'There's something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland ahead of Donside by-election
Poor children are being let down by schools, warns Ofsted
World news in pictures
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi
TBC: Capital Refrigeration Services Ltd: Capital Refrigeration Services requir...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are currently recruiting fo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: . Blackpool
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...