More children are eating school dinners say new figures
Tuesday 17 July 2012
More than three million children are now eating school dinners, as the numbers continue to soar, according to new figures.
An extra 167,000 pupils took up the meals in 2011/12, compared to the year before, data published by the Children's Food Trust reveals.
It is the fourth year running that the numbers of youngsters eating school lunches has risen.
In total, almost half of England's primary school pupils on average (46.3%) had school dinners this year, up 2.2 percentage points on 2010/11.
In England's secondary schools, nearly two-fifths (39.8%) took up the meals on average, also up 2.2 percentage points on the year before.
It means that overall, the equivalent to almost 3.3 million pupils were eating school dinners this year.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
Reach Volunteering: Would you like to volunteer your expertise as Chair of Governors for Livability?
Voluntary and unpaid, reasonable expenses are reimbursable: Reach Volunteering...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + substantial benefits: Ashdown Group: Finance Admin...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Linux Systems Administrat...