Inflation fall disappoints stock market
Retail prices rose by 2.4 per cent in the year to February, down from 2.5 per cent in the year to January, according to the Central Statistical Office. However, some economists predicted that retailers would not be able to make higher prices stick.
The City had expected inflation to fall to 2.2 per cent and the stock market concluded that Kenneth Clarke, the Chancellor, would find it difficult to justify another cut in interest rates to offset next month's tax increases. The FT-SE index of 100 leading London shares closed 46.2 down on the day at 3,155.3.
Gilts fall, page 35
View from City Road, page 36
Kippers leave the RPI, page 37
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
vary Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - AN OPENING AT A VERY HIGH Q...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Ilford: Nursery Manager Long term Ran...
£24000 - £25000 Per Annum plus company car and commission: Clearwater People S...
£45 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply SEN Support Jobs in Bris...