Just a little something to warm you up
Tuesday 10 December 1996
This covers 20 years' work of someone considered by many to be our greatest living painter. Within a few days of opening, the show has been showered with superlatives.
In today's Tabloid section, our critic Bryan Robertson says: ``Before you begin to wonder about content or what's going on in real, recognisable terms, you are electrifyingly aware of broad areas of blazing or smouldering red, a deep moody blue or a luminously verdant green practically hitting you from the wall. You're aware of a passionately decisive welter of big, slashed brush-strokes, luscious but alert and bristling in their intensity. Like the smile of the Cheshire cat in Alice, a generalised light-drenched mood seems to be transmitted from the paintings.''
You get the picture. On The Riviera (above) may not be cheaper than a radiator, but it's a lot more fun.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Adobe F...