Advertising: Will you insure me?
Ohhh no, we can't insure your bulldog. This was the response from Churchill Insurance when Timothy Taylor, of Leicestershire, tried to get a quote to cover his six-year-old bulldog, Monty, who'd just been given a clean bill of health.
Churchill – whose mascot is, of course, a nodding bulldog – told Taylor that Monty was too old for cover.
Churchill isn't the first insurance firm to contradict its own advertising. In 2009, Swiftcover's advert featuring Iggy Pop was pulled by the Advertising Standards Authority when it emerged the company bans rock stars from taking out car insurance.
What next? Will Legal and General, famous for its umbrella logo, not insure you for a rainy day? Or will Admiral refuse to cover your naval frigate?
The Compare the Meerkat campaign might have jumped the shark, but at least you can use its website, to, you know, actually compare meerkats.
Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
Teenager creates website allowing motorists to fight parking tickets in minutes
Five practical ways you can help refugees trying to find safety in Europe
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 YouTube video shows woman verbally abusing takeaway staff 'because they used green peppers'
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This national business publishi...
£14500 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22 - £25k basic + Commission=OTE £35k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Bathroom Sh...
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive / Account Manager is ...