Laser-eye deal advert irresponsible
Wednesday 03 October 2012
An online advert urging people to snap up half-price laser eye surgery was irresponsible, the advertising watchdog rules today.
LivingSocial, which offers cut-price deals ranging from massages to vacuum cleaners, ran the promotion on its internet site and emailed it to potential customers in May. It offered laser eye surgery for both eyes for £1,949, adding "buy now!" and "two days remaining".
The Advertising Standards Authority received a complaint that the week-long offer could persuade people to rush into having laser-eye surgery.
LivingSocial Ltd said the deal let people research the procedure and discuss it with their doctor or optician. It said after customer consultation, those found to be unsuitable for treatment would receive a full refund.
The ASA found the bargain to breach rules on responsible advertising and the promotion of medicine.
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
Halloween 2014: From the Screaming Man of Pluckley to the 'White Lady' of the Tower of London - Britain's 20 most haunted places
Russian politician says Apple CEO Tim Cook should be 'banned' from country after coming out as gay
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
£25 - 32k DOE: Guru Careers: A digital-savvy Marketing Account Manager / Clien...
£23-30k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking bright Business Developmen...
Circa £55,000: Ashdown Group: Lead Developer requirement - C#, ASP.NET, SQL - ...
38,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: My client is an agency that handles the me...