Nando's axes spoof Mugabe advertisement after threats
Nando's, the South African fast-food and restaurant chain, has withdrawn advertising that depicts the ageing, authoritarian President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, 87, as "the last dictator standing".
In a statement, Nando's said it noted with concern "political reaction" in Zimbabwe, including threats against managers, staff and customers at its spicy-chicken franchise outlets across the country. "No TV commercial is worth risking the safety of Nando's staff and customers," it added.
The ad shows Mr Mugabe dining alone at Christmas, his empty table set for departed dictators including Muammar Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein. Nando's says it will no longer air the advertising on South African television, which is beamed by satellite to tens of thousands of Zimbabwean subscribers.
The commercial shows an actor playing Mr Mugabe reminiscing about his times with former dictators. It portrays him and Gaddafi engaging in a water-pistol fight, with Gaddafi wielding a gold-plated AK-47 water pistol.
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Feminist quotes to inspire you on the International Women's Day
Oscar Pistorius trial first week: Never mind a media scrum – murder case becomes bizarre safari following the tracks of a wounded lion
International Women’s Day: 'When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch' - feminist quotes from female icons to inspire you
Malaysia Airlines plane: Oil slick is first sign that missing flight crashed into sea killing up to 239 on board
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Founded in 2008 by two Chinese tech entre...
£40000 - £47000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group: Qualified...
£6.31 per hour: Inspiring Interns: This company delivers over 200 public secto...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K Base + Uncapped Commission + Benefits: Flight...