How Blair double-crossed me, by Greg Dyke
Sunday 29 August 2004
Greg Dyke exacts his revenge today on Tony Blair, whom he says reneged on a deal not to force him out of his job as director general of the BBC.
Mr Dyke lays bare the inside story of the furious confrontation between the corporation and Downing Street in a new book serialised this weekend.
High on his list of targets is the law lord whose report into the death of the government weapons scientist David Kelly was regarded by many as a whitewash. Lord Hutton was also condemned yesterday as a "Guantanamo judge" by the former BBC defence correspondent Andrew Gilligan in what appears to be a co-ordinated attack by two of those most criticised in the official inquiry into the affair.
Mr Dyke also lashes out at Mr Blair and his former director of communications, Alastair Campbell, whom he says behaved like a "deranged and vindictive bastard" in the wake of the publication of the Hutton report on 28 January.
Mr Campbell's personal attack on Mr Dyke and Gavyn Davies, the former BBC chairman, broke a pledge Mr Blair had made, claims Mr Dyke. The former director general also called for the resignation of six serving BBC governors whom he accuses of "behaving like frightened rabbits" in the face of pressure from Downing Street.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£25 - 30k (DOE) + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: We are looking for an Accoun...
£25k Basic (DOE) – (£30k year 1 OTE) : Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright A...
£15-20k (DOE) + Benefits / Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright R...
£25 - 40k (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Web Desig...