'Independent' journalists honoured at major sports awards
Tuesday 28 February 2006
The consistently outstanding work of The Independent's chief sports writer, James Lawton, was recognised last night when he was named Columnist of the Year at the prestigious Sports Journalism Awards in London.
In an excellent night for The Independent, photographer David Ashdown picked up two awards, for best sports picture and best sports news picture. The judges in both categories looked no further than Ashdown's brilliant photograph of England's Andrew Strauss leaping to his left to take an astonishing one-handed catch to dismiss Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist off Andrew Flintoff's bowling during the fourth Ashes Test at Trent Bridge last summer.
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Jennifer Lawrence face palms Emma Watson at Christian Dior show
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Pamplona Running of the Bulls 2014: Briton critically injured in San Fermin festival
Elephant 'cries' while being rescued after 50 years of abuse in India
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Social Media Director (Gl...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: This is an e...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: BI Project / Program Manager BI Project...
£250 - £300 per day: Progressive Recruitment: LEAD DIGITAL ANALYST - CONTRACT ...