'Independent' journalists honoured at major sports awards
Tuesday 28 February 2006
The consistently outstanding work of The Independent's chief sports writer, James Lawton, was recognised last night when he was named Columnist of the Year at the prestigious Sports Journalism Awards in London.
In an excellent night for The Independent, photographer David Ashdown picked up two awards, for best sports picture and best sports news picture. The judges in both categories looked no further than Ashdown's brilliant photograph of England's Andrew Strauss leaping to his left to take an astonishing one-handed catch to dismiss Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist off Andrew Flintoff's bowling during the fourth Ashes Test at Trent Bridge last summer.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£20000 - £25000 per annum + commission: SThree: Real Staffing's Pharmaceutical...
£38000 - £40000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: A leading consu...
£12 - £15 Hourly Rate: Sheridan Maine: Are you an experienced Accounts Assista...
£21,000 - £24,000 Annual: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a new opportunit...