'Independent' journalists honoured at major sports awards
Tuesday 28 February 2006
The consistently outstanding work of The Independent's chief sports writer, James Lawton, was recognised last night when he was named Columnist of the Year at the prestigious Sports Journalism Awards in London.
In an excellent night for The Independent, photographer David Ashdown picked up two awards, for best sports picture and best sports news picture. The judges in both categories looked no further than Ashdown's brilliant photograph of England's Andrew Strauss leaping to his left to take an astonishing one-handed catch to dismiss Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist off Andrew Flintoff's bowling during the fourth Ashes Test at Trent Bridge last summer.
Jo from Northern Ireland was less than impressed by Russell Brand's attempt to stage a publicity stunt
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established media firm based in Surrey is ...
£25,000 to £35,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: The Company Our client are th...
£80 – 120K : Sphere Digital Recruitment: Sales Director – Ad tech - £80 – 120K...
40,000- 50,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: Senior Analyst – Global Sports Gam...