'Independent' journalists honoured at major sports awards
Tuesday 28 February 2006
The consistently outstanding work of The Independent's chief sports writer, James Lawton, was recognised last night when he was named Columnist of the Year at the prestigious Sports Journalism Awards in London.
In an excellent night for The Independent, photographer David Ashdown picked up two awards, for best sports picture and best sports news picture. The judges in both categories looked no further than Ashdown's brilliant photograph of England's Andrew Strauss leaping to his left to take an astonishing one-handed catch to dismiss Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist off Andrew Flintoff's bowling during the fourth Ashes Test at Trent Bridge last summer.
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 London is the most googled city in the world
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Richard Dawkins ridicules Sabrina Corgatelli for claiming her giraffe kill was 'ethical'
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£20 - £30k DOE + OTE + BENEFITS: Guru Careers: A Business Development Manager ...
£20k plus sales linked bonus. : Guru Careers: We are seeking a Copywriter to j...
Up to £26k DOE: Guru Careers: A Junior / Mid-Level 3D Creative Designer is nee...