More awards for 'The Independent'
Saturday 26 April 2008
Independent columnist Johann Hari has won the Orwell Prize, given annually to the journalist who has best achieved Orwell's aim of making "political writing into an art".
The judges praised Mr Hari's work for "ambitious reporting, careful and artful writing and elegant and effective political analysis. "The range and depth of Johann Hari's reporting and analysis reminds us long-form British journalism is alive and well," they said. Mr Hari's prize came in the same week that the paper won at the National Newspaper Awards.
The Independent took the Fujifilm Grand Prix for a series of self-improvement promotions, given away with the paper over the past two years. The judges praised the range and variety of the publications.
Collected by circulation director Paul Little, the award is the only industry prize to reward excellence in news media production.
Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
Why Robin Williams safeguarded himself against a morbid trend in advertising
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
Jeremy Clarkson to become 'special adviser on transport' to David Cameron
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
£20000 - £25000 per annum + commission: SThree: Real Staffing's Pharmaceutical...
£38000 - £40000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: A leading consu...
£12 - £15 Hourly Rate: Sheridan Maine: Are you an experienced Accounts Assista...
£21,000 - £24,000 Annual: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a new opportunit...