Daily Mail group cuts 1,000 regional jobs
Monday 23 March 2009
The Daily Mail and General Trust today became the latest media company to announce major cutbacks in the regional press.
It said that about 1,000 jobs would go at its Northcliffe Media regional arm - twice as many as had been feared.
Northcliffe publishes 113 regional titles in England with a total circulation of more than four million. Key dailies include titles in Leicester, Derby and Bristol.
DMGT said most of the cuts had already taken place or were under consultation. They would leave Northcliffe with around 3,500 staff by the end of the year.
Further cost savings were also announced for Associated Newspapers, owners of the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday.
Investors were warned of a substantial fall in results for the first half of the year as the firm waits for cost-saving measures to filter through, including the effect of last month's sale of the Evening Standard.
Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
Three-year-old boy accidentally shoots dead his mother in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as she changes her younger daughter's nappy
Michael Brown shooting: Driver smashes into crowd as protests erupt across the US during a second night of unrest
Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£18000 - £25000 per annum + £35k ote: h2 Recruit Ltd: Looking for your first s...
£19000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This publishing house has been ...
£20000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Award winning Peterborough base...