'Guardian' to cut jobs after £35m loss
Guardian News & Media is poised to announce further annual losses of about £35m next month and will be producing a redesigned and slimmed-down edition of The Guardian newspaper on weekdays, as it looks to save money and put emphasis on its future as a "digital-first organisation".
The company's senior executives warned staff yesterday that it was seeking savings of £25m in the next five years. Job losses are inevitable at Guardian News & Media, which produces the loss-making The Guardian and The Observer titles and employs 630 journalists.
Alan Rusbridger, the company's editor-in-chief, told staff the organisation would "move beyond the newspaper" and invest further in digital products. The company is keen to expand in the United States, where it has a New York base and has built an online audience of 12 million.
Sources said the company needed to act with urgency to stem its losses and will talk with unions and staff before deciding on job cuts.
'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Bill Cosby rape allegations explained: Why are these allegations coming out now? And why has nobody taken legal action?
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
£8000 - £13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have an interest in compu...
£18000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has bec...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: The Society for Expe...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...