Investigations prize for tobacco exposé
Saturday 02 June 2012
The Independent's Science Editor, Steve Connor, has been awarded the prize for best investigative journalism by the Association of British Science Writers for his reporting on how tobacco giants are fighting a covert war against British tobacco researchers.
In his series "Big Tobacco Exposed", Connor revealed how scientists are being subjected to a hate campaign, and how tobacco companies are using powerful proxies to gain access to research data, including confidential interviews with child smokers, in attempts to undermine the scientific case for further restricting tobacco sales and promotion.
Following public condemnation, Philip Morris International, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, backed away from its demand to obtain Stirling University's smoking research involving interviews with thousands of children aged between 11 and 16.
Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Californian drought is so severe it's 'causing the ground to move'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...