Investigations prize for tobacco exposé
Saturday 02 June 2012
The Independent's Science Editor, Steve Connor, has been awarded the prize for best investigative journalism by the Association of British Science Writers for his reporting on how tobacco giants are fighting a covert war against British tobacco researchers.
In his series "Big Tobacco Exposed", Connor revealed how scientists are being subjected to a hate campaign, and how tobacco companies are using powerful proxies to gain access to research data, including confidential interviews with child smokers, in attempts to undermine the scientific case for further restricting tobacco sales and promotion.
Following public condemnation, Philip Morris International, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, backed away from its demand to obtain Stirling University's smoking research involving interviews with thousands of children aged between 11 and 16.
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wreckage could be found within a week as search reaches 'very critical juncture', says minister
The man they forgot to lock up: Mike Anderson was sentenced to 13 years in jail, but the police never came
Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
South Korea ferry disaster: Families watch as remains of Sewol victims returned to shore
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of an ongoing effort to support local...