McGuinness launches attack on media
Martin McGuinness of Sinn Fein maintained the combative tone towards the media yesterday which he has adopted since launching his campaign for the presidency of the Irish Republic.
He spoke of "west Brit" elements in the media and elsewhere, using the term which republicans use pejoratively about Irish people they accuse of having excessive sympathy towards Britain.
The first few days his campaign have featured a number of radio and television appearances during which he has been aggressive towards interviewers, especially when questioned about his IRA past. He said: "There are west Brit elements in Dublin. Some of them are attached to some sections of the media. I say to all of them: I go forward on my record, and my record as a peacemaker, I think, is unequalled."
Irish bookies have shortened the odds on Mr McGuinness: the odds against him are currently 9-4 or 5-2.
More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Aylan Kurdi: Canadian immigration minister suspends election campaign to investigate why 'Syrian family's refugee application was refused'
Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama comments on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive / Account Manager is ...
£12000 - £13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This social media management pr...
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Deputy Editor - Wimbledon...
£26000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Editor (Magazines/Publish...