More than 100 jobs are set to go at News International, as the firm beset by controversy over the phone hacking scandal looks to make savings.
Staff were informed of the cutbacks in an internal memo sent yesterday from chief executive Tom Mockridge, who also announced there would be "discussions" with editors across the group's titles about the use of casual staff.
Mr Mockridge wrote: "In the period to the end of this financial year, we expect to reduce the News International workforce by 110 staff positions, out of a workforce of approximately 3,000." It is understood that all departments at The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times will be hit by the job losses, including editorial staff.
Mr Mockridge said it had been "an extremely testing time" for everyone at News International in a clear reference to the hacking scandal, and told staff that 89 former News of the World employees had taken up the enhanced redundancy terms on offer to them.
He wrote: "We continue to do everything we can to find jobs for those who were directly affected by the closure, and already 23 positions around the business have been made available [to them]."Reuse content