Pulitzer winner in plagiarism row
Friday 18 March 2011
The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Sari Horwitz has been suspended by The Washington Post for plagiarism.
Horwitz was suspended for three months after she was accused of copying "substantial" parts of a piece in the newspaper Arizona Republic about January's shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.
The Post's executive editor, Marcus Brauchli, apologised "for this serious lapse". The paper stressed that it had found no other evidence of plagiarism in Horwitz's work.
"Plagiarism has long been one of the most serious ethical violations in journalism," the paper's website said. "Reporters often cite other news sources for information that they haven't gathered themselves, but the standard practice is to paraphrase the material and attribute the information to its source."
The case came to light earlier this week when Randy Lovely, the editor of the Arizona Republic, emailed Brauchli. "I have great respect for the Post," said Lovely. "At the same time, our reporters worked hard to gather this information, and it's not right to simply take it."
Horwitz won the Pulitzer in 2002 for a story about a series of deaths of foster children under the care of government officials. She was part of reporting teams that won the award in 1998 and 2007. She has been with The Washington Post since 1984.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel your sales role is l...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£28 - 34k: Guru Careers: An ambitious PR Account Manager is needed to join a c...
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: A Web Content Editor / Web Editor is needed to join a...