The Top Ten: Recurring news stories
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 22 June 2014
Thanks to Is Clutton for the idea. She suggested, 'Last pit pony retires' and 'Previously unheard Nick Drake songs found'. You, dear reader (although possibly not you personally), did the rest. Thank you all. A book of collected Top 10s is to be published by Elliott & Thompson this autumn
1. 'Leaked details of new "Star Wars" film anger fans' Hopi Sen
2. 'American celebrity rumoured to be house-hunting in England' Jemima Lewis
3. '"Panther" spotted in Devon' Judith Williamson, followed by 'Exotic animal not real' Mark Wallacey
4. 'Head teachers call for staggered term times to stop family holiday rip-offs'
5. 'Cat found safe after 700-mile journey in engine compartment of vehicle' Stuart Crawford
6. 'World's oldest person dies' Robert Kaye
7. 'Why can't this country cope with a bit of snow?' Ms Person
8. 'Fifty-five-year library loan returned: library staff amused and no fine levied' Brian Spanner, Andrew Heard
9. 'Ed Miliband calls for full independent public inquiry' Rob Marchant
10. 'Putin says soldiers are not Russian' Dominique Stewart
Next week: Yiddish Words (shlep, kvetch)
Coming soon: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime (such as duvets replacing sheets and blankets in 1970s). Send ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Thought you'd seen it all after the Jeremy Paxman interview?
Greatest mystery about the hit BBC1 show is how it continues to be made at all, writes Grace Dent
"History is violent," says the US Army tank commander Don "Wardaddy" Collier
Striker's four-month ban for biting an opponent expires on Friday
Argentinian scored 'rabona' wonder goal for Tottenham in Europa League – see it here
Isis releases first video showing the stoning of woman accused of committing adultery as her father shouts 'don't call me Dad'
This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
FCKH8: YouTube reinstates provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing
Diwali: What is the festival of lights – and how is it celebrated around the world?
Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
competitive benefits: Sauce Recruitment: Outstanding analytic expertise is req...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: Are you the king or Queen o...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: A global entertainment busi...