The Top Ten: Recurring news stories
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 22 June 2014
Thanks to Is Clutton for the idea. She suggested, 'Last pit pony retires' and 'Previously unheard Nick Drake songs found'. You, dear reader (although possibly not you personally), did the rest. Thank you all. A book of collected Top 10s is to be published by Elliott & Thompson this autumn
1. 'Leaked details of new "Star Wars" film anger fans' Hopi Sen
2. 'American celebrity rumoured to be house-hunting in England' Jemima Lewis
3. '"Panther" spotted in Devon' Judith Williamson, followed by 'Exotic animal not real' Mark Wallacey
4. 'Head teachers call for staggered term times to stop family holiday rip-offs'
5. 'Cat found safe after 700-mile journey in engine compartment of vehicle' Stuart Crawford
6. 'World's oldest person dies' Robert Kaye
7. 'Why can't this country cope with a bit of snow?' Ms Person
8. 'Fifty-five-year library loan returned: library staff amused and no fine levied' Brian Spanner, Andrew Heard
9. 'Ed Miliband calls for full independent public inquiry' Rob Marchant
10. 'Putin says soldiers are not Russian' Dominique Stewart
Next week: Yiddish Words (shlep, kvetch)
Coming soon: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime (such as duvets replacing sheets and blankets in 1970s). Send ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bali Nine executions live: Indonesian firing squad shoots dead eight drug offenders despite outcry around world, but a ninth is spared
Keith Harris dead: Orville the Duck ventriloquist dies aged 67 following battle with cancer
The four utterly contradictory polls that tell the story of this election and why it is pointless trying to predict the outcome
Donald Trump decides that Baltimore riots are Barack Obama's fault
General Election 2015: Prospect of Labour-SNP coalition makes one in four voters less likely to support Ed Miliband, says survey
- 1 Avengers: Age of Ultron: Nearly 700 German cinemas refuse to show movie
- 2 Donald Trump decides that Baltimore riots are Barack Obama's fault
- 3 X Factor in crisis as numbers of people auditioning plummets
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Baltimore riots: Furious mother marches her son home live on TV
£65K - £75K (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Creative Director...
£40 - 48k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Manager to join...
£20-30K(DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a PR Account M...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: One of the UK’s largest and most s...