The Top Ten: Recurring news stories
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 22 June 2014
Thanks to Is Clutton for the idea. She suggested, 'Last pit pony retires' and 'Previously unheard Nick Drake songs found'. You, dear reader (although possibly not you personally), did the rest. Thank you all. A book of collected Top 10s is to be published by Elliott & Thompson this autumn
1. 'Leaked details of new "Star Wars" film anger fans' Hopi Sen
2. 'American celebrity rumoured to be house-hunting in England' Jemima Lewis
3. '"Panther" spotted in Devon' Judith Williamson, followed by 'Exotic animal not real' Mark Wallacey
4. 'Head teachers call for staggered term times to stop family holiday rip-offs'
5. 'Cat found safe after 700-mile journey in engine compartment of vehicle' Stuart Crawford
6. 'World's oldest person dies' Robert Kaye
7. 'Why can't this country cope with a bit of snow?' Ms Person
8. 'Fifty-five-year library loan returned: library staff amused and no fine levied' Brian Spanner, Andrew Heard
9. 'Ed Miliband calls for full independent public inquiry' Rob Marchant
10. 'Putin says soldiers are not Russian' Dominique Stewart
Next week: Yiddish Words (shlep, kvetch)
Coming soon: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime (such as duvets replacing sheets and blankets in 1970s). Send ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Lead Web Develo...
£33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An External Relations Executive is requi...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This established Digital Agency based in East ...