The victims: Miller and Mosley describe outrage over NOTW stories
Mosley said his late son suffered from depression after the reports
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Friday 25 November 2011
Sienna Miller laid out the price she paid for her fame to the Leveson Inquiry yesterday. The star of Alfie, Layer Cake, Factory Girl and Stardust, described how she wrongly blamed close family and friends for intimate stories about her personal life that began appearing in British tabloid newspapers.
She said she felt really angry at blaming people "I knew they would rather die than betray me".
As a tabloid target, she spoke about the early encounters with photographers anxious to get exclusive pictures of a glamorous young star. "It was terrifying. I was 21, running down a dark street on my own being chased by 20 men." She suggested that if their cameras were taken away, they could be charged with illegal intimidation.
The constant appearance of intimate stories about her life were initially "baffling". She changed her mobile phones regularly and would arrange private meetings, in specific locations, only to arrive and finding photographers and reporters waiting for her.
But these were no coincidence: The News of the World's private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, had Ms Miller's details as well as those of her friends, family and publicist.
When she learned she was the victim of phone hacking, she felt "violated and constantly angry".
Later yesterday, Max Mosley told the Inquiry how the legal victory he won after a News of the World article in 2008 branded him a sexual pervert engaging in a Nazi-themed orgy came with an unbearable price.
The former boss of motorsports' international governing body told the Leveson Inquiry how his son has resumed taking drugs after the photographs and video of the sex play involving five woman had appeared in the tabloid. He said his son, who has since died, had suffered from depression and couldn't bear seeing the photographs of his father.
There was no truth in the "Nazi" slur in the story written by Neville Thurlbeck, the former NOTW chief reporter who is under police bail in connection with Scotland Yard's investigation into hacking.
Mr Mosley took legal action against the former News International Sunday title and won £60,000 in damages – the highest amount awarded in a privacy action in a UK court.
In a lengthy legal argument with the Inquiry's counsel and Lord Leveson himself, Mr Mosley, who trained as a barrister, said the laws of privacy did nothing to protect victims because once the story was published, newspapers knew most legal action could not repair the damage and was only open to the rich.
He told the Inquiry that the main problem lay with search engines like Google.
The Independent, however, understands that about 100 URLs relating to the NOTW video were permanently removed. Google said: "Google's search results reflects the information available on billions of webpages. We don't and can't control what others post online. But when we're told that a specific page is illegal under a court order, then we move quickly to remove it from our search results."
Hacking Trial: Rebekah Brooks, Raisa and a new twist in the saga of a horse fit for a Prime Minister
Israel-Gaza conflict: Palestinian death toll now exceeds 500 – but Israel fights on
Income tax league: Revealed - the UK towns where people pay the most and least tax
Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Blogger captures footage ‘showing BUK missile launcher that shot down jet’ now back in Russia
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client who are a leading publisher in...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A data analytics are currently looking t...
17.5k + Commission (£18.5k after probation period): ESI Media: You will be res...
£25k - £30k (DOE): Guru Careers: Two expert PPC Account Managers are needed to...